Many people are under the impression that car washes waste water. Car washes use water, of course, but they actually use significantly less water than washing a car with a hose and a bucket, especially if said car wash is a WaterSavers car wash. A car wash built with WaterSavers technology uses less water and keeps harmful chemicals out of waterways and damaging the surrounding environment.
To be a WaterSavers Car Wash, there are certain criteria that need to be met.
- The water after the wash must be rerouted to a treatment facility or leech/septic field
- There must be a backflow prevention device installed
- No more than 40 gallons must be used per car wash (for conveyored or in-bay/roll-over washes)
- No more than three gallons used per minute for self-serve car wash (spray nozzles must use maximum water efficiency)
WaterSavers Car Wash vs. Washing it Yourself
Washing your car has many benefits, not just to make your car look good! Some additional reasons people should wash their cars more often include:
- It’s safer! A clean car makes driving safer since the windshield, lights, and mirrors are clean.
- A consistently clean car makes it last longer! By cleaning off dirt, road salt, and bird droppings, your investment will be with-held.
- Improve fuel economy. It’s true! A clean car means less wind resistance which means the car uses less fuel. Mythbusters proved it!
While people might want a consistently clean car, it’s proven that washing a car in a driveway instead of at a WaterSavers Car Wash is much worse for the environment.
A study by the City of Federal Way (Washington) found that residential car washing led to the following being released into their storm sewer system:
- 190 gallons (719 liters) of gasoline, diesel and motor oil
- 400 pounds of phosphorus and nitrogen
- 60 pounds of ammonia
- 2,200 pounds of surfactants
- 3,000 pounds of solids
A car washed at a WaterSavers Car Wash will save all these harmful chemicals from making their way into the water system!
WaterSavers Car Wash | White Water Solutions
Ask your local car wash if it’s recognized as a WaterSavers facility by the International Carwash Association. And if you’re interested in turning your car wash into one that’s WaterSavers-certified, reach out! White Water Solutions carries top-of-the-line car wash equipment and solutions. We also have experience setting car washes up with marketing ideas which often entails highlighting WaterSavers. Give us a call!